New update from Sandy
In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the city of Cleveland and the Cleveland Airport System – which includes Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) and Burke Lakefront Airport (BKL) – are continuing to assess damage caused by driving rain and heavy winds.
Here are the current conditions at CLE Airport:
- The airport remains open; however, United Airlines has suspended flights until 3 p.m. today. The remaining airlines have a handful of flights departing today. Airport officials and the airlines strongly encourage passengers to contact their airline directly for flight status.
- Security checkpoint B is temporarily closed and will resume normal operations on Wednesday, Oct. 31st.
Current conditions at BKL Airport:
- BKL sustained some damage to the terminal building and airport officials are working with other City departments to repair damages.
- Much like the entire city, BKL, which sits along Lake Erie, has reported downed trees; debris on and around the airfield, roadway and parking lots. BKL will work with the city’s Urban Forestry to have trees removed.
- BKL reports ponding and flooding in the parking lot as well as ponding on the airfield. Airport field maintenance will be dispatched for cleanup.
- Cleveland Public Power is working to restore power to areas around the airfield.
- No aircraft at BKL was damaged.