Call & Post High School Sports
1. Mentor (11-1), the Cardinals edged hosting Benedictine 85-82. Senior Justin Fritts led the Cardinals with 36 points. On Friday, beat visiting and Northeast Ohio Conference foe Brunswick 100-70. Fritts led the Cardinals again with 24 points. The Cardinals visit #7 Brush on Thursday.
2. Shaker Heights (11-1) edged visiting Warren G. Harding in overtime 61-58. The Red Raiders were led by Louisville recruit and senior guard Terry Rozier with 25 points. Junior guard Mel Leach had 12 points.
3. St. Peter Chanel (12-0), the Firebirds made it a dozen victories with their 59-40 victory over visiting Trinity. Damon Jones led Chanel, who is 6-0 in the North Coast League, with 17 points. Chanel visits Holy Name, Friday.
4. John F. Kennedy (10-1) beat Hayes Vo-Tech 97-51. The Mighty Fighting Eagles hosts East Tech (10-4) in Call and Post’s Game-of-the-Week, Friday.
5. Garfield Heights (9-3), after suffering back-to-back losses, the Bulldogs barely got back on track in their 72-65 overtime victory against visiting Elyria. Junior Tony Farmer led Garfield Heights with 24 points. The Bulldogs hosts Twinsburg, Friday.
6. St. Ignatius (7-2) lost to #3 St. Edward 65-61, the Wildcats got off to a slow start trailing 25-9 after one. The Wildcats visits Strongsville, Friday and host Walsh Jesuit on Saturday.
7. Brush (9-1), the Arcs led 21-12 after the first quarter and it went downhill from there as Cuyahoga Falls (4-7) pulled off a 66-57 upset. The Arcs hosts #1 Mentor on Thursday.
8. Cleveland Heights (10-1), the Tigers were de-striped in their 55-46 loss to visiting Maple Heights. The Tigers visit Bedford, Feb. 3.
9. Benedictine (8-2), the Bengals toppled hosting Padua 67-59. The Bengals visits NDCL, Friday.
10. Richmond Heights (8-1) beat hosting Berkshire 71-52. The Spartans hosts Wickliffe, Friday.
11. Akron East (10-1) beat hosting and city-rival Akron Firestone 100-97 in double-overtime. The Dragons had three players with 26 points or more. Senior Mycle Shadie led the Dragons (10-1, 6-0 Akron City Series) with 30 points including a game-clinching three-point field-goal as time expired. Senior guard Davonte Brunson had 28 points and Townsend had 26 points. Firestone counteract with four players in double-figures. The Dragons hosts Garfield, Friday.
12. Kenston (10-0) edged visiting Orange 66-64. The Bombers host Harvey, Friday.
13. Nordonia (9-2) at Highland, Friday.
14. East Tech (10-4) beat visiting Rhodes 64-45 to remain undefeated in Senate Athletic League (6-0). The Golden Scarabs visit #4 John F. Kennedy, Friday.
15. Warren G. Harding (7-3) lost to #2 Shaker Heights 61-58 in overtime. The Raiders hosts Shaw, Friday.
16. Valley Forge (9-2) beat city-rival Parma 84-73. The Patriots, who have won five in a row, hosts Rocky River on Jan. 31.
17. Brunswick (11-2) fell to #1 Mentor 100-70. The Devils will host North Royalton, Friday.
18. Maple Heights (9-3) upset previously #3 Cleveland Heights 55-46. The Mustangs will visit Lorain, Friday.
19. Westlake (10-1) lost their first game of the season to hosting Midpark 46-38. Westlake visits Amherst Steele, Friday.
20. Midview (11-2) beat hosting North Ridgeville 65-44 in a West Shore Conference victory. Midview who is 7-1 in the WSC, visits Rocky River, Friday.
Call and Post’s Game-of-the-Week - #14 East Tech (10-4, 7-0) at #4 John F. Kennedy (10-1, 7-0) 5:30 p.m.
Girl’s Top 20
1. Twinsburg (11-3), despite losing to DuPont Manuel (Louisville, KY) 51-46 in the Raatz Fence Classic, Twinsburg is still the top team. The Lady Tigers take on hosting Mentor, Saturday.
2. Manchester (14-0) doubled up hosting Triway 60-30. Manchester hosts Fairless, today.
3. Midpark (12-1) routs Brecksville-Broadview Heights 83-42. The Meteors take on hosting Olmsted Falls, today.
4. Ravenna (12-0) was idle; take on hosting Crestwood, today.
5. Solon (11-2) dumped visiting Lakewood 60-38. The Lady Comets visits Strongsville, Saturday.
6. Eastlake North (11-3) beat visiting Lakeside 60-41 in a Premier Athletic Conference game. The Rangers were led by Lynsey Englebrecht with 17 points, eight rebounds, seven steals and two assists. The Rangers are at Kenston, Saturday.
7. Hoban (12-1) beat hosting Lake Catholic 56-44. The Lady Knights host city-rival St. Vincent – St. Mary, Thursday.
8. Canton McKinley (10-3), the Lady Bulldogs are starting to lose their bite. They have lost three out of four including a 52-40 loss to hosting Massillon Perry. Canton McKinley at Boardman, Thursday.
9. Cleveland Heights (12-3) beat hosting Shaw 62-47. Senior Jasmine Harper had 13 points. The Lady Tigers visits Bedford, Friday.
10. Hathaway Brown (10-3), the Blazers won their sixth straight by beating hosting Walsh Jesuit 71-56. Junior Vanessa Smith had the game-high of 28 points. The Blazers visit St. Joseph Central (Huntington, WV), Friday in the Veterans Memorial Field house Tournament.
11. Magnificat (10-3) beat hosting Lorain 53-45. The Blue Streaks takes on Lakewood, today.
12. Hudson (10-2), the Explorers beat Kent Roosevelt 49-29. Hudson hosts Perry, today.
13. Gilmour (12-3), the Lancers defeated Padua Franciscan 65-50, visits Parma, today.
14. Westlake (12-2) beat Amherst Steele 53-24, hosts Avon Lake, today.
15. Glenville (16-1) takes on hosting John Adams, Friday.
16. Shaker Heights (7-3) easily beat hosting Maple Heights 73-60. Wagner University recruit Jordyn Peck had the game-high of 29 points. She was back-up by senior guard Danae Rock with 20 points.
17. Lorain (10-3) lost to Magnificat 53-45. The Titans hosts Maple Heights, today.
18. Firestone (8-4) beat visiting Ellet 73-25.
19. Hoover (12-3) lost to Uniontown Lake 54-48, takes on Mass. Washington, today.
20. Mayfield (10-3) on the strength of Shannon Zajec game-high of 38 points, the Wildcats handled visiting Brush 69-40. The Lady Wildcats hosts, Madison, today.