High School Sports Week of 1-16-2013
By Bryant K. Kizer
High School Beat Reporter
Girl’s Top 15
1. Twinsburg (14-0) the Lady Tigers led by Ashley Morrisette’s 20 points and Brooke Smith 16 points helped the two-time D-I state champs to a 55-49 victory over Hoover.
2. Hathaway Brown (11-3) the Blazers edged Solon 59-55. A big 22-12 fourth quarter sealed the deal for the Blazers. Nia Marshall led all scorers with 25. The Blazers at Classic in the Country at Hiland HS vs. Sylvania Northview, Saturday.
3. Hudson (12-2) the Explorers got 22 points from senior Hannah Boesinger in their 61-42 victory over visiting Austintown Fitch. Junior guard Jackie Ulmer added 17 points. The Explorers hosts Medina, Friday.
4. St. Joseph Academy (14-0) the Jaguars got out the gate quick with a 29-9 first quarter onslaught leading them to a 73-52 victory over visiting Glenville. Katie Battaglia led the Jags with 16 points. The Jags hosts Brunswick, today.
5. Wadsworth (11-2) the Grizzlies’ nine-game winning streak was snapped by visiting Revere in a 55-47 loss. The Grizzlies at Cloverleaf, today.
6. Solon (9-3) the Comets lost to #2 Hathaway Brown 59-55. Senior Kristen Confroy had 20 points to lead the Comets. The Comets other three losses have come against the three top teams in the Call and Post’s Top 15, Twinsburg, Hathaway Brown and Hudson.
7. Midpark (8-3) the Meteors kept hosting Berea at bay with their 55-43 victory. Midpark at Brecksville-Broadview Heights, Saturday.
8. Walsh Jesuit (10-2) sophomore Lillli Piper led the Warriors with 23 points in their 75-62 victory over visiting Hoban. Senior Jessa Gilberto had 20 points and senior Sophia Simone had 14 points. A 28-18 fourth quarter was the difference. The Warriors hosts Ursuline, today.
9. Brunswick (9-4) the Blue Devils had an easy time on defeating visiting Garfield Heights 64-36. Gabrielle Bulic led with 16 points. Bri Moss and Paige Salisbury had 13 points each. The Blue Devils visit #4 St. Joseph Academy, today.
10. Beachwood (11-1) after dropping their first loss of the season on Wednesday, the Bison followed it up with a 54-41 victory over Wickliffe. The Bison at Cardinal, Thursday.
11. Euclid (10-3) the Panthers toppled Maple Heights 65-33. The Panthers are 6-1 in their last seven games. The Panthers hosts Cleveland Heights on Jan. 23 and hope to and avenge their earlier 46-44 lost to the Lady Tigers on Dec. 8.
12. Cleveland Heights (8-3) Ashanti Abshaw had the game-high of 23 points in their 60-38 victory over hosting Warren Harding. The Lady Tigers at Lake Catholic, today.
13. Glenville (6-3) lost to #4 St. Joseph Academy 72-53. Latrice Legion had the game-high of 25 points.
14. Gilmour (13-1) the Lancers won their ninth game in a row by beating hosting Laurel 75-42. The Lancers hosts Aurora, today.
15. Shaw (8-3) the Lady Cardinals lost to visiting Mass. Washington 58-48. The Lady Cardinals hosts Warrensville, Jan. 23.
Boys’ Top 15
1. Shaker Heights (8-2) the Red Raiders survived a 58-55 victory over hosting Medina. The Red Raiders hosts Garfield Heights, Friday.
2. Villa Angela – St. Joseph (9-2) the Vikings won their sixth in a row by beating visiting Dalton 95-46.
3. St. Edward (9-3) the Eagles edged Bison 69-66. Tony Vuyancih led the Eagles with 15 points. For the Bison, John Davis III had the game-high of 34 points. The Eagles visit #7 St. Ignatius, Saturday.
4. Mentor (10-2) the Cardinals sank 22 3-pointers in their 85-51 victory over Eastlake North. The Cardinals hosts Brunswick, Friday.
5. Glenville (9-1) the Tarblooders beat John Marshall 80-59. The Tarblooders at Warrensville Heights, today.
6. Garfield Heights (8-2) lost to #4 Mentor 76-63. The Bulldogs visit top-ranked Shaker Heights, Friday.
7. St. Ignatius (8-2) the Wildcats trounced Lorain 72-38. The Wildcats hosts St. Edward, Saturday.
8. Brush (9-2) the Arcs’ game against Cuyahoga Falls will be rescheduled due to power outage. The Arcs were leading 50-46, at the end of the third quarter, when the lights went out.
9. Richmond Heights (6-2) the Spartans are at Cardinal, Friday.
10. Beachwood (8-2) the Bison were edged by #3 St. Edward 69-66. The Bison at Fairport Harbor Harding, Friday.
11. Shaw (7-5) the Redbirds won their seventh straight by beating JFK 64-48. The Cardinals have a re-match against rival Cleveland Heights, Friday.
12. University School (8-3) beat visiting Lakeside 68-59. The Preps will travel to Eastlake North, Friday.
13. East Tech (8-4) the Golden Scarabs beat visiting Lincoln West 106-55. East Tech at Collinwood, Friday.
14. Cleveland Heights (7-3) edged Warren G. Harding 61-60. The Tigers host rival #11 Shaw, Friday.
15. Cleveland Central Catholic (7-3) snapped their three-game losing streak by beating visiting Holy Name 74-60. The Ironmen at Warren JFK, Friday.
Call and Post’s Games of the Week
With half of the regular season gone, the high school basketball scene heats up this Friday with a ton of big games slated.
#6 Garfield Heights (8-2) at #1 Shaker Heights (8-2) – 7:30 p.m. –
The house that Bob Wonson built will be rocking. The Red Raiders, the top ranked team in the Call and Post’s Top 15, will have their biggest test as the Bulldogs of Garfield Heights invade Shaker Heights. What can the Bulldogs do to offset the Red Raiders big three in senior Kash Blackwell, junior Rosel Hurley and sophomore Esa Ahmad? Get to game early.
#11 Shaw (7-5) at #14 Cleveland Heights (7-3) – 7:30 p.m. –
Almost ten days ago, the Shaw Cardinals got their first victory over Cleveland Heights since 2007. Now the Cardinals, who have won seven straight, has a chance to sweep the series on the court that Jim Cappeletti built, Cleveland Heights.