High School sports news
By Bryant K. Kizer
High School Beat Reporter
Girls top 15
1. Twinsburg (19-0) the Lady Tigers pulled away from #5 Solon 54-48. The two-time defending D-I champs, trailed at halftime 28-25. Senior Ashley Morrissette led with 27 points. The Lady Tigers hosts #3 Hudson, Saturday.
2. Hathaway Brown (14-5) lost to #1 Twinsburg 46-38. The Lady Blazers, the two-time defending D-II champs, at #11 Walsh Jesuit, today.
3. Hudson (16-2) the Lady Explores outscored Shaker Heights 36-6 on the free-throw line and won 74-35. Senior Hannah Boesinger and junior Jackie Ulmer shared the team-high with 15 points. Junior Margo Camp added ten points. The Lady Explorers battle No. 1 Twinsburg, Saturday.
4. Wadsworth (17-2) the Grizzlies captured another Suburban League crown by routing Tallmadge 64-19. Wadsworth, a perfect 12-0 in the league, hosts Highland, today.
5. Solon (14-4) the Lady Comets lost to visiting #1 Twinsburg 54-48. Junior Martha Thompson led the Comets with 22 points. Solon hosts Mentor, Saturday.
6. Midpark (14-4) the Meteors clinched the Southwestern Conference with a 51-33 victory over Avon Lake. Midpark visits Amherst Steele, today.
7. Euclid (16-4) the Panthers were sharp in their 72-13 victory over Warrensville Heights. The Panthers visits Shaw, Saturday.
8. St. Joseph Academy (16-2) beat visiting Brush 69-51. St. Joseph at #14 Lake Ridge Academy, Saturday.
9. Beachwood (16-1) the Bison claimed the Chagrin Valley Conference title by beating g Hawken 50-35. The Bison visits Cuyahoga Heights, Saturday.
10. Glenville (14-2) with sophomore Latrice Legion at the helm, the Tarblooders beat visiting Shaw 56-49. Legion, who leads Northeast Ohio in scoring, led with a game-high of 28 points. The Tarblooders, host the Senate Playoffs, today.
11. Walsh Jesuit (14-4) the Warriors are fading. They were defeated by St. Vincent – St. Mary 65-57, their second consecutive loss and three out of four. It doesn’t get easier for the Warriors, they host #2 Hathaway Brown, Saturday.
12. St. Vincent – St. Mary (12-5) beat #11 Walsh Jesuit 65-57. The Irish host Hoban, today.
13. Brunswick (11-5) the Blue Devils won their ninth in a row by beating visiting Elyria 55-40. Brunswick hosts Mayfield, Saturday.
14. Lake Ridge Academy (18-2) the Lions pounced on Youngstown Ursuline 51-34. The Lions host #8 St. Joseph Academy, Saturday.
15. Cleveland Heights (12-6) beat Bedford 59-40. The Lady Tigers host Shaw, today.
Boys’ top 15
1. VASJ (13-2) will host St. Vincent – St. Mary, Thursday.
2. Mentor (14-3) the Cardinals beat visiting Cleveland Heights 96-87. The Cardinals at Medina, Friday.
3. Garfield Heights (12-3) the Bulldogs got rest last week. They will visit Brunswick, Friday.
4. St. Ignatius (11-3) the Wildcats and Glenville game was postponed because of snow on Friday. The Wildcats visits #5 St. Edward, Friday.
5. St. Edward (15-4) the Eagles won their sixth straight by beating Benedictine 63-49. A 23-8 fourth quarter was the deciding factor.
6. Glenville (13-1) the Tarblooders clinched home-court advantage for the Senate playoffs with a 72-68 victory over East Tech. The Tarblooders take on John Hay, today.
7. Shaker Heights (12-5) the Red Raiders lost to #5 St. Edward 80-72. The Red Raiders played without sophomore Esa Ahmad and senior Kash Blackwell went down with a sprained ankle. The Red Raiders, who have lost three out of four, hosted Brunswick, Tuesday.
8. Richmond Heights (14-2) the Spartans rout Fairport 78-49. Frank Barber had a season-high of 29 points. The Spartans host Independence, Friday.
9. North Royalton (14-2) the Bears lost to Cuyahoga Falls 85-81 in three overtimes. Omari Spellman led with the game-high of 24 points. Nick Woods added 13 points. The Bears visits Parma, Friday.
10. Brecksville (14-1) the Bees overwhelmed visiting North Olmsted 76-49. The Bees, who have won ten in a row host Berea, Friday.
11. Cleveland Central Catholic (10-4) their game against St. Peter Chanel, was postponed. The Ironmen take on top-ranked VASJ, Friday.
12. Beachwood (14-2) the Bison clipped Cardinal 67-58. John Davis led with the game-high 21 points. The Bison hosts Wickliffe, Friday.
13. Cleveland Heights (9-4) the Tigers will take on Bedford, Thursday.
14. Maple Heights (12-5) the Mustangs lost to Lorain 48-44. Senior Phil Black was held to a season-low 11 points. The Mustangs host Bedford, Saturday.
15. East Tech (11-6) the Golden Scarabs lost to Findlay 61-52. The Golden Scarabs take on John F. Kennedy in the Senate playoffs, this Thursday.