Cleveland Clinic ranked America's 2nd best hospital again
For the third year in a row, the Cleveland Clinic has been ranked the No. 2 hospital in the United States.
The designation comes from the 2018 U.S. News and World Report, which also ranked Cleveland Clinic as No. 1 in urology and cardiology for the 24th consecutive year.
Cleveland Clinic’s ranking as the #2 hospital in America marks the 20th consecutive year that it has been named among the top five hospitals nationwide. Overall, only 158 hospitals -- about 3 percent of the 4,500-plus hospitals evaluated by U.S. News -- were nationally.
Cleveland Clinic is one of only 20 U.S. hospitals to be named to the list’s Honor Roll, which recognizes hospitals that “deliver the highest quality of care across a range of specialties, procedures and conditions,” according to U.S. News.
Since 1995, Cleveland Clinic has ranked higher in heart care than any other hospital in America.
In all, 14 Cleveland Clinic specialties earned national rankings:
- Cardiology and heart surgery: #1
- Urology: #1
- Gastroenterology and GI surgery: #2
Sign up for the daily Top 3 Newsletter
This email will be delivered to your inbox once a day in the morning.
- Nephrology (kidney disorders): #2
- Rheumatology: #2
- Orthopedics: #3
- Pulmonology: #3
- Diabetes and endocrinology: #4
- Neurology and neurosurgery: #4
- Cancer: #5
- Geriatrics: #5
- Gynecology: #5
- Ophthalmology: #9
- Ear, nose and throat: #11
In addition to Cleveland Clinic’s main campus, three other hospitals in the Cleveland Clinic health system earned national rankings:
- Fairview Hospital. No. 19 in gastroenterology/GI surgery, No. 27 in pulmonology, No. 36 in cardiology/heart surgery, and No. 45 in geriatrics.
- Cleveland Clinic Florida. No. 25 in gastroenterology/GI surgery and No. 42 in orthopedics.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General. No. 47 in pulmonology.
“All of Cleveland Clinic’s 53,000 U.S. caregivers should take great pride in this honor” said Tom Mihaljevic, M.D., CEO and president of Cleveland Clinic. “Their hard work, shared sense of purpose and commitment to excellence are what distinguishes Cleveland Clinic. By working together, we will continue to deliver the highest quality care to our patients, who are the real reason we strive to do better every day.”
Cleveland Clinic’s Glickman Urological & Kidney Institute is ranked the No. 1 urology program for the second year in a row.
Here are how other local hospitals ranked:
- Cleveland Clinic: No. 1 in Ohio; No. 1 in the Cleveland area
- Cleveland Clinic Florida: No. 4 in Florida; No. 2 in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area
- Fairview Hospital: No. 5 in Ohio; No. 3 in the Cleveland area
- Hillcrest Hospital: No. 6 in Ohio; No. 4 in the Cleveland area
- Akron General Hospital: No. 11 in Ohio
- South Pointe Hospital: No. 13 in Ohio; No. 5 in the Cleveland area
In addition to ranking 16 medical specialties, U.S. News also graded hospitals on nine common adult procedure and condition. Cleveland Clinic received the highest designation – high performing – in each: aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hip replacement, knee replacement, and lung cancer surgery.
U.S. News’ methodologies are based on objective measures in most areas of care, such as risk-adjusted survival, readmission rates, volume, patient experience, patient safety, and quality of nursing, among other care-related indicators.
According to U.S. News, the annual Best Hospitals rankings are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for life-threatening conditions or for common elective procedures.