Shaker Heights are getting strong led by Cochran
Meechie Johnson Jr., and the Garfield Heights Bulldogs battle No. 4 Lorain on Saturday.
1. Mentor (12-0) the Cardinals behind Luke Chicone’s 19 points toppled Strongsville 90-59. The Cardinals at Solon on Friday.
2. St. Vincent – St. Mary (11-2) Seth Wilson and Lunden McDay each had 15 points as the Irish edges hosting Benedictine 65-53. The Irish outscored the Bengals 28-18 in the fourth quarter. The Irish hosts No. 3 Brush, today.
3. Brush (12-2) DJ Dial had the team high 29 points and Andre Harris added 22 but the Arcs loss to Kennedy Catholic 70-65 in the Chet Mason Invitational. The Arcs visit No. 2 St. Vincent – St. Mary, today.
4. Lorain (12-1) the Titans beat Clearview 86-55. The Titans visit Shaw on Friday and host Garfield Heights on Saturday.
5. St. Edward (10-5) the Eagles lost to Spire 122-86. The Eagles host Lutheran East on Friday.
6. Shaker Heights (10-4) Dakota Cochran’s team high 22 points helped the Red Raiders to stay unbeaten in 2019 with a 78-58 victory over Brunswick. The Red Raiders, who have won seven in a row, hosts Euclid on Friday.
7. VASJ (11-3) the Vikings edged Archbishop Hoban 76-74. Jaden Hameed led the Vikings with 24 points. The Vikings host Cleveland Central Catholic on Friday.
8. East Tech (15-1) the Golden Scarabs suffered their first loss of the season a 61-58 defeat to Maple Heights. The Golden Scarabs visit Glenville on Friday.
9. Olmsted Falls (13-2) Eric Hanna had career high 49 points as the Bulldogs got past Westlake 85-64. The Bulldogs, who holds a half of a game lead in the Southwestern Conference, host North Ridgeville on Friday.
10. Holy Name (12-2) the Green Wave won their 10th in a row by beating Bay 93-84 in a Great Lakes Conference shootout. The Green Wave’s Quentin Richardson had the game high 38 points. For the Rockets Erik Painter had 37. The Green Wave at Elyria Catholic on Friday and they will host Padua on Saturday.
1. Medina (17-0) the Bees had to go into overtime to keep their unbeaten record alive. The Bees beat hosting Euclid 70-63. Sarah McKee had the team high 25 points.
2. Canton McKinley (17-1) the Bulldogs beat Green 65-35. The Bulldogs host Jackson, today.
3. Aurora (17-1) the Sellers’ sisters combined for 39 points in their 50-34 victory over Highland. The Greenmen can wrap up the Suburban League – American Division Conference with a victory over Revere, today.
4. Wadsworth (15-2) the Grizzlies beat North Royalton 50-11. The Grizzlies visit Twinsburg today.
5. Archbishop Hoban (16-0) the Knights beat Padua 64-22. The Knights host Gilmour today.
6. Eastlake North (15-1) Destiny Leo and Abby Carter had 27 points each as the Rangers toppled Madison 80-33. The Rangers host Chardon today.
7. Glen Oak (14-2) the Golden Eagles beat Lake 60-31. The Golden Eagles host Bowling Green today.
8. Cornerstone Christian (15-2) the Patriots beat VASJ 68-39. The Patriots at Youngstown Ursuline on Saturday.
9. Olmsted Falls (13-2) the Bulldogs rebounded from a crushing loss against Avon by beating Westlake 63-49. Clare Kelly had the game high 29 points. The Bulldogs visit Lakewood today.
10. Cleveland Heights (13-4) the Tigers got a 26-point, eight assist from Hayley Sims as they beat Bedford 71-60. The Tigers host Laurel today.
Games of the week: (Boys)
Harvey (10-3) at Beachwood (10-5) – 7:30 p.m.
The battle for the Chagrin Valley Conference – Chagrin Division could be settled. Harvey with a 7-1 record only loss has come against Perry. The Bison have lost to Geneva and Perry. Keep in mind, they will play later in February. But a victory Friday, will stick in their minds. Freshman Roderick Coffee has been the most consistent for the Red Raiders. He has scored in double-figures in all but one game. For the Bison, Jayson Woodrich could be the MVP in the Conference. The senior has put up some numbers. He had a career high 36 points in their nail-biting 72-68 loss to Willoughby South Rebels in the Chet Mason Invitational last Sunday.
Garfield Heights (8-8) at No. Lorain (12-1) – 7:30 p.m. –
The Garfield Heights Bulldogs are in the stretch run in their high school season. They are trying to battle back into a playoff mode. They will have a test with one of the most talented team – the Lorain Titans. The guard match-up will be superb as Meachie Johnson Jr. (Garfield Heights) battle Devon Grant (Lorain), a Miami University (Ohio) recruit.
Kenston (13-5) at No. 6 Eastlake North (15-1) 2 p.m.
The Western Reserve Conference title could be in the hand of the winner. Eastlake North has already defeated Kenston earlier this season. They would like to sweep the series on their court. Hot shooting Destiny Leo leads the Rangers. She had 28 points in their 62-51 victory on Jan. 2. The Blue Bombers are led by Rachel Apshago. She only had seven points when the two teams battled.