Lorain Titans back on top
1. Lorain (15-1) Taeveon Pierre-Louis had the game high 32 points as the Titans beat Garfield Heights 87-78. The Titans host Cleveland Heights on Friday.
2. Brush (14-2) Andre Harris had 19 points and John Hugley had 16 as the Arcs toppled Riverside 71-61. The Arcs visit Mayfield on Friday.
3. St. Vincent – St. Mary (11-3) the Irish was edged by Kennedy Catholic 75-72. The Irish hosts Lutheran East on Friday.
4. Mentor (14-1) the Cardinals rebounded from their first loss of the season by beating Lakota East 67-57. The Cardinals host Brunswick on Friday.
5. St. Edward (12-5) the Eagles edged Cleveland Central Catholic 56-51. The Eagles visit No. 10 St. Ignatius on Friday.
6. Shaker Heights (11-5) the Red Raiders suffered their first loss in 2019 to the Euclid Panthers 79-74. The Red Raiders visit Elyria on Saturday.
7. VASJ (11-3) the Vikings was idle this week. The Vikings host Padua on Friday and at Euclid on Saturday.
8. Olmsted Falls (15-2) Eric Hanna had the game high 25 points leading the Bulldogs to a 66-47 victory over North Ridgeville. The Bulldogs host Berea-Midpark on Friday.
9. Warrensville Heights (12-5) the Tigers edged Buchtel 69-66. Brandon Rush had the game high 30 points, Ramelle Arnold added 23 points. The Tigers host Revere on Feb. 12.
10. St. Ignatius (9-6) the Wildcats beat Benedictine Bengals 74-38. The Wildcats will host No. 5 St. Edward on Friday and at Beachwood on Saturday.
1. Medina (18-0) the champion of the Greater Cleveland Conference beat Elyria 63-14. The Bees visit rival Brunswick today.
2. Canton McKinley (18-1) the Bulldogs edged Hoover 67-56. The Bulldogs host Washington on Feb. 11.
3. Aurora (18-1) the Greenmen, champs of the Suburban League – American Division, beat Strongsville 58-42. Shyanne Sellers had 22 points and Shayla Sellers had 18 points. The Greenmen at Copley today.
4. Wadsworth (15-2) the Grizzlies visits Brecksville-Broadview Heights today.
5. Archbishop Hoban (18-0) the Knights beat St. Joseph Academy 55-29. The Knights visit St. Vincent – St. Mary today.
6. Eastlake North (18-1) Destiny Leo had a game high 44 points as the Rangers beat Kenston 68-48. The Rangers battle rival Willoughby South today.
7. GlenOak (14-2) the Golden Eagles were idle.
8. Cornerstone Christian (15-2) was idle. The Patriots host Magnificat on Saturday.
9. Cleveland Heights (15-4) Hayley Sims led the Tigers with 16 points as they defeated Lorain 66-37 to remain perfect and clinch the Lake Erie League title at 10-0. The Tigers battle rival Shaw today.
10. Gilmour (12-6) the Lancers beat Padua 71-37. The Lancers host Laurel today.
Game of the Week – The Senate Playoffs (Boys)
Today – Rhodes (8-3 Senate, 11-6 overall) vs. Glenville (9-2, 12-8) at East Tech
The first game was a classic for Rhodes Rams’ Marlon Landingham. He had the game high 30 points as the Rams beat hosting Glenville 71-63. Now the two teams meet for the all of marbles in the semi-final of the Senate playoffs. Amarion Dickerson added 19 points for the Rams. For the Tarblooders Terry Taylor had 19 points and Bryon Ottrix had 11 points.
Game two: MLK (7-4, 10-6) vs. East Tech (10-1, 16-2)
For East Tech’s head coach Brett Moore, they were sailing along by winning their first 14 games. But their last three games, was a gut checker. They lost to Maple Heights 61-58 on the tail-end of a back-to-back-to-back games. Then they were tested against MLK and slid out with a 52-50 victory. Next, they lost to Glenville 57-54. Now, after six straight road games, the Golden Scarabs host the first-round of the Senate playoffs. For MLK, this means all the world to them in knocking off the Golden Scarabs at home.
The winner of each game will meet at East High School on Friday.
(The girls’ final four was played on Tuesday between John Hay, John Marshall, East Tech and John Adams. The winners of each game will meet at East High on Friday at 5:30 p.m.)
Photo - Johnny Bigsby and DJ Harrell will try to direct the East Tech Golden Scarabs to the Senate title this week. (Photo by Bryant Kizer)